Firstly, let me just say thankyou to Jewinda of Library Shenanigans for her idea to add StatCounter to my blog. S/he doesn’t know about me at all but I liked the idea after reading her blog (I’ll be able to see where in the world people are coming from!). Her blog is very amusing, I LOVE the review of The Post-Birthday World (The characters were self-indulgent, boring twats…bland, bland, bland).
On to today’s activity…Rollyo. Rollyo allows you to create a customised search engine. I had a search using the Public Domain E-Books search engine for Alice in Wonderland…the results weren’t anything special and the paid ads that are popped in the middle of my results are hard to distinguish from the actual results.
I registered and, when I went to create my search roll, I found no way to use a generic *.xxx type thing (ie a search roll that would search all Victorian government sites would be *.vic.gov.au). I looked for the non-existant help files for a while…naughty naughty naughty! Help is always good. Finding the search-roll after I’d created it wasn’t too easy either.
AHA! If I type in .li as the website, it finds anything in Liechtenstein. Although I just found out that it ONLY searches top level domains, so if you find a subdirectory you want to allow your search engine to search through…tough (ie a wikipedia article or the cia’s Factbook).
Rollyo is a good idea but I’m not too keen on the limitations.
PS I do love how I can make the widget search my blog though!